Thursday, December 6, 2007

Book Report - SAY WHAT?

SAY WHAT?

-MARGARET PETERSON HADDIX

I recently received the book SAY WHAT? From MDH and thought I’d share it with all of you.

This fictional story about the Robinson family was hilarious! I enjoyed it because I could relate to it on two levels. First, the Robinson’s are parents of three young children and they are tired of always having to tell their kids the same things over and over again. I also feel that way with my own two kids at times! The second is that the three children (Brian, the oldest, Reed in gr. 2 and Sukie 6 years old) do things that upset their parents that I remember my brother and I doing when we were young. They are also the same things my own children did (and still do) as well.

The story begins with Sukie’s world being turned upside down. She does things that she knows she should not do but her parent’s remarks no longer match the behaviour. For example if she is running around the house her dad might say, “Don’t forget to eat your vegetables,” instead of “Don’t run in the house.”

When Reed discovers that his parents are actually using PARENTSPEAK, a term from a magazine article, in order to get their children to listen to them, the children decide to give them a taste of their own medicine.

In the end the parents and children both begin to see each other’s viewpoint a little more clearly and they come to an agreement. If you want to know how it ends you will have to read it for yourself…it’s a good read! I’d recommend this book to people of all ages…but especially as a book to read along with your parents!!!

Book review by: Mrs. Gagne

1 comment:

mdh said...

dear mrs. ganer I relly like your book report it looks inchrasting